One tight slap


Some childhood memories stay with you for a life time. I remember one tight slap very vividly and I realize the effect it has had on me.

I was in preparatory school, a boys school (not sure which year of school) and one day playing near home I said something disrespectful to my cousin and my mum gave me one tight slap. That day she taught me that I had to respect girls as I respected her.

The lesson never left me all these days, today people have been surprised when I use the plural for my daughter (neenga, vaanga, ponga) but it is so much a part of me. Since when did children not merit the respect due to them? Respect begets respect.

Today when the nation is outraged I choose to keep my silence because nothing will change by making laws or enforcing them. It all begins with the upbringing. Children imitate their parents; if the father is abusive of the mother or child do not expect the child to grow up any different.

I sigh every time I see parents dropping their kids off to school driving on the wrong side, jumping traffic lights, in short being a public nuisance. I shudder to think what will happen to these kids tomorrow.

The rapists must have had some miserable upbringing; I was outraged when the parents said on camera that their sons deserved to be hanged if guilty. Had they done their duty when they were still kids one young lady will have still been with us today.

People spend money to get the best education but hardly spend time in ensuring that the children get the best values. The task becomes difficult when the parents lack the same values.

Sometimes one tight slap may just be answer.

RIP brave one. You have fought a good fight. I pray for you that the good Lord be with you till we meet again.


Comments

  1. Absolutely true. It starts much from the basic upbringing. Nice post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Values Values something we lack in this country. We are the three monkeys. Will not talk, see and hear bad things. If we ignore the bad it tends to spread the infection through the body.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your take on this?

Popular posts from this blog

Bad donkey, small wall.

Po poi velaya paaru...

Battle of the movies - Annaathe Vs Jailer