Random notes



All good things come to an end, even the IPL. It ended after Lalit Modi thanked his wife and kids for bearing with him as he went about his work, maybe just maybe he must have apologized to us who fell victim to his work. And for once somebody from within has actually cut the BCCI behemoth down to size. And try as much as Modi may the EPL will still be the better event even though I am a cricket buff. I say this because the IPL is an overkill of activity that is jammed into too little time. It is draining for the viewers and the players alike and players risk their limbs for their pot of gold.

Staying with cricket as Gayle showed national duty may not be a big thing after all, and if you want to do national duty then join the armed forces in the era of professional sport it all comes down to money. I sympathize with Gayle coming from a confederation of sovereign national islands; national loyalty may not actually work out. It’s a pity that NRIs who want to play for India were barred because of some nationalist policies that banned people who don’t live in India, representing the country.

The triumph of the underdog was as enjoyable as Slum Dog Millionaire, but it left you wondering if the format in the present scheme is flawed. The best two teams sat out of the summit clash, while the underdogs battled for their moment of glory. Moving from cricket even in the Indian Polling League there was the remarkable march of the underdogs with many first timers and perceived weaklings laughing their way to the Lok Sabha today.



Women on bikes have generally amused me for a few reasons:- 1) They drag their feet along the road (you know what I’m talking about) and till TVS came up with those BSA Champ like side wheels they had no other alternative 2) They wrap a scarf or a dupatta all around them, wear dark glasses, really long gloves and start the bike like a terrorist or bandit queen look alike and some how invariably fail to care for their heads, they forget that complexion or a crown of hair may be useless when they loose their head 3) They manage to sit on the small luggage carriers that some how protrude beyond the bike (usually someone else is on the pillion seat) and manage to remain seated for their journey 4) They can sit with both legs on one side in the conventional fashion when sari clad behind the rider and allow the other woman clad in pants to sit astride the bike behind her 5) they have the same disregard for rules, even if the rules were meant for personal safety like most brainless men do 6) they like to brag about how extremely fast they rode the other day when in all probability they would have done the top speed on their scooty (you know what I am talking about). Its not that I think they are all bad drivers, in fact I always think that the girl I once spotted on a RX as the coolest biker around, till maybe Alisha Abdullah came around.




A new virus is spreading around and it is leaving a few wives frustrated, it is online Scrabble. I am hooked and as I look around on Facebook, it seems to be catching like wild fire. D is getting absolutely frustrated that now Scrabble is keeping me hooked, and when she compared notes with others she found that the same story was being played out in their homes. On a happier note, I have started remembering words that habe been consigned to the depths of grey matter with disuse and constantly discovering new words that I never knew existed before. I just don’t know why it took me so long to get hooked to my childhood passion again.



As mentioned at the start all good things… another thing that has ended is the very silly question that gets thrown at you by anyone / everyone when they know you are married and married in the last few years. You know what I am talking about, the proverbially annoying question, “Any Good news?”. For starters I’m not a news maker and if you want Good news then go buy the news paper or better still read the Bible, stop asking this silly question to others. You would have inferred that if the questions have stopped then 1) there is news 2) we live in peace. Sadly every ending has a new beginning, now I’m getting irritated with “on the family way, you never told me”. Life goes on.

Comments

  1. LOL on the lady-biker observations. How very true.Girls(like you, am also not generalising here;but most lady-bikers) first need to learn the use of helmet.
    Scrabble is a great game but I haven't found my way back to it after school days. :)
    For the nth time, I am with you on the people-asking-any-good-news thing. It's just beyond what one can bear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:18 pm

    does D ride a two wheeler?

    i love playing scrabble.. it was the firt game my dad taught me to improve my vocabs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ur words are so...perfectly timed!! Totally digged it! Btw was laughing out loud at ur women biker observations, because, dupatta+ dark glasses + scooty is definitely me! Though I always have my helmet on, well, except when I'm going to the grocer's who is not a helmet wearing distance away {now suddenly feeling guilty remembering that I am wasting petrol and therefore increasing the size of my carbon footprint, for not-helmet-wearing-distances..=(}

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Purple heart: Try scrabble on Face Book, its real fun and if you do, maybe we can play a game.

    @ Chriz: D does, though she calls it bike (with due apologies to all self respecting bikers, me included) it is a scooty

    @ Oxy: Good initiative, its cuts carbon and also burns calories, so keep at it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your take on this?

Popular posts from this blog

Bad donkey, small wall.

Po poi velaya paaru...

Battle of the movies - Annaathe Vs Jailer